Vinayaka Chaturthi, also known as Ganesh Chaturthi, is a significant Hindu festival celebrated in honor of Lord Ganesha, the elephant-headed deity who is revered as the remover of obstacles and the god of wisdom and prosperity. This festival typically falls in the Hindu month of Bhadrapada (August or September) on the fourth day of the waxing moon phase (Shukla Chaturthi).
Story Behind Ganesh Chaturthi
The origin of Vinayaka Chaturthi dates back to ancient times. According to Hindu mythology, Goddess Parvati created Lord Ganesha from the dirt of her body and breathed life into him to stand guard at her door while she was bathing. When Lord Shiva, Parvati’s husband, returned and found Ganesha standing in his way, he was unaware of Ganesha’s identity and got into a confrontation with him. This led to a battle in which Lord Shiva severed Ganesha’s head.
Upon realizing the mistake, Lord Shiva was filled with remorse, and to appease Parvati, he promised to bring Ganesha back to life. He sent his followers to find the head of any living being facing north. They returned with the head of an elephant, which Lord Shiva attached to Ganesha’s body, reviving him. Lord Ganesha was then declared the son of Shiva and Parvati and given the title of “Vighnaharta” (remover of obstacles).
The festival of Vinayaka Chaturthi is widely celebrated in India, particularly in the states of Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, and Tamil Nadu, where it is observed with great enthusiasm and grandeur.
Rituals of Ganesh Chaturthi
The celebration of Vinayaka Chaturthi involves several rituals and customs, which may vary based on regional traditions. some of the common rituals of Ganesh Chaturthi are given below :
- Ganesha Idol Installation: A clay or eco-friendly Ganesha idol is installed in homes, temples, or community pandals (temporary structures). The idol is placed on a raised platform and decorated with flowers, garlands, and ornaments.
- Prana Pratishtha: The idol is consecrated with the recitation of mantras and the invocation of divine energies, giving life to the idol. This process is known as Prana Pratishtha.
- Offerings and Puja: Devotees perform puja (worship) to Lord Ganesha, offering flowers, incense, fruits, sweets, and other traditional delicacies. They chant prayers, sing devotional songs, and seek the blessings of Lord Ganesha.
- Aarti and Bhajans: Aarti is performed using a lamp or candle, accompanied by the singing of devotional songs and bhajans (hymns) dedicated to Lord Ganesha.
- Modak Prasad: Modak, a sweet dumpling, is considered Lord Ganesha’s favorite food. Devotees prepare and offer modaks as prasad (blessed food), which is then distributed among the participants as a divine offering.
- Visarjan: At the end of the festival, the Ganesha idol is immersed in a water body (such as a river, lake, or sea) as a symbolic gesture of bidding farewell to the deity. This ritual is known as Ganesh Visarjan.
Date and Time of Ganesh Chaturthi
Vinayaka Chaturthi falls on different dates each year based on the Hindu calendar. It is usually celebrated in the month of Bhadrapada, specifically on the fourth day of the waxing moon phase (Shukla Chaturthi).
To determine the exact date of Vinayaka Chaturthi for a particular year, it is advisable to refer to a Hindu calendar or consult with a local Hindu temple or priest. They will have accurate information based on the lunar calendar followed in your region for that specific year.
In the Current year 2023, Vinayaka Chaturthi will be celebrated on 19 September.
Best Wishes For Ganesh Chaturthi 2023
- May Lord Ganesha bless you with happiness, prosperity, and success. Happy Ganesh Chaturthi!
- Wishing you and your family a joyful and blessed Ganesh Chaturthi. May the divine blessings of Lord Ganesha be with you always.
- May Lord Ganesha remove all obstacles from your path and grant you a life filled with joy and fulfillment. Happy Ganesh Chaturthi!
- On this auspicious occasion of Ganesh Chaturthi, may Lord Ganesha shower his divine blessings upon you and your loved ones. Happy Vinayaka Chaturthi!
- May the presence of Lord Ganesha bring peace, prosperity, and harmony to your life. Happy Ganesh Chaturthi!
- Wishing you a day filled with devotion and celebrations. May Lord Ganesha bless you abundantly. Happy Ganesh Chaturthi!
- As we celebrate the birth of Lord Ganesha, may his divine grace fill your home with love, happiness, and positivity. Happy Ganesh Chaturthi!
- May the divine blessings of Lord Ganesha always be with you. May he guide you through every phase of your life. Happy Ganesh Chaturthi!
- May Lord Ganesha bestow his blessings upon you and your family, and may all your wishes and dreams come true. Happy Vinayaka Chaturthi!
- On this auspicious occasion, may you find new beginnings and may all your endeavors be successful. Happy Ganesh Chaturthi!